17 February 2007

Carnival in Köln, another first!

After a long flight and not much sleep, I arrive in Frankfurt at 7:00 on Saturday morning. I got right on the ICE high-speed train, which takes just under an hour to get to Köln central station. As agreed, I had sent a text to Caroline from the airport and on the train I call her as she was coming to meet me at the station. She had to go to the last day of her course but was coming to see me on her way. I got off the train and just as I looked around to see which way to go she was there, all smiles and immediately big hugs and kisses. It suddenly felt like ages since we’d last met and I was overwhelmed with love and longing for this lovely girl with her beautiful eyes. We made our way to the Starbucks cafe where we had met months ago the first time I came to Köln… great memories from that day. We had a coffee, chatted, hugged and kissed like kids and after half an hour she had to go. I took a taxi to her flat, where I met her friend Markus, who was staying for the Carnival. He was very friendly and very easy to get on with. We chatted for a bit and then he went out to meet a friend. I unpacked a bit and went to bed to try and catch up some lost sleep. I left the flat and took a short walk, found one of the cafe’s Caro and I have been to and had a snack, then I met up with Markus to buy bread and return to the flat in time to meet Caro coming home.
We had a passionate “rest” on her bed and we both really needed to get some close body contact after a few weeks apart. But with Markus in the flat we behave and come out soon to eat the good food he’s been cooking for us.
We planned to go out for my first Carnival night, which is something special in Köln. First its compulsory to dress-up, so we all busied with clothes and makeup while Markus’s sister arrived and then Friederike and her boy friend arrived. Caro and I are both pirates and what a very sexy pirate she made.
We all set off to a bar not far from where Caro lives called the Mexican. The place was all decorated for the Carnival and packed with partying people all in fancy dress (as is every bar and kiosk we walk by). There’s special traditional German music being played which everybody knows and sings along to, while dancing and downing the local beer, all at the same time. The atmosphere is really very friendly and I’m soon getting into the party mood and trying to sing along (well humming along to most of them as my German is still non-existent) with the others. I’m having a good time. Caro and me get to have some good sexy pirate dances together and the evening turns out to be a great success. She seems very happy I seem to fit well into all this madness :) and it’s a great first evening to this stay in Carnival Köln.

No comments: