13 February 2007

India part 2

Magnus and I catch another early flight back to New Delhi on Monday morning. Were getting used to the choice of omelette or curry for breakfast on the Indian planes, and I’m taking the omelette again. Curry at this time in the morning seems out of the question. The air hostesses seem to have to learn our names, and are confused as Magnus is sitting in my seat today... so I’m Mr Rehn and he’s Mr Smith for a few hours, on the plane anyway.
Its cloudy and cooler and around 18 degC in Delhi when we land. The hotel has sent a driver in an expensive Mercedes to collect us. We’re treated to our first drive in India when the driver does not appear to have a death wish and is not tooting the horn every 2 minutes, which all the others do continuously. The hotel is extravagant and very comfortable, which after a week away ion India, feels like a good compensation for all this travelling and chaos. I’m not a snob and don’t insist on such hotels, but our partners expect us to live in this sort of expensive hotel, so they can bring the railway official and customers to meet us here. Its all part of the game we have to play to do business here, where its defiantly who you know that counts.

Now it’s Tuesday evening and I’ve just got back from a trip into town to shop and eat dinner. I managed to get a bargain jumper and we found a good restaurant and ate some great curry. Back at the hotel I got online and Skyped with Caroline for ages. Great to hear her voice and chat about all that going on in our life, both here and there… and I long to have her here, by my side, in my bed with me. And now its already after midnight, so it’s Valentines Day here already, and again another first…I wish Caroline a Happy Valentines Day. I Love You.

No comments: