25 December 2006

Christmas Eve

I can see it’s a big mistake to not keep up with my blog entries, as I’m having problems remembering in which order I did things over this Christmas period.
Being back at Caroline’s flat in Cologne felt very good and being with her 24 hours a day now seemed very natural to me. On the Saturday, we made plans for the coming days and did some shopping for food during the day. I put the final touches to my rhymes for Caroline’s presents and attached them to her already wrapped presents. Caro had organised tickets for us in the evening to the Köln Philharmonic Concert Hall to see a Christmas performance by Bach. We met Friederike and Matias who were also at the concert. It was a really good performance and a special thing to do at Christmas… I was a little tired and nodded off just a few times during the first half… but I was refreshed during the interval with a glass of Champaign and the second part was more enjoyable… especially with my girlfriend by my side.

Christmas Eve was such a great day for us both. We really spent the day as we had planned, together and at our own pace…the way we wanted it to be. We spent the morning in bed and opened the first of our presents together. We had a late breakfast and went for a walk into the city centre. It was only a few degrees plus and we followed the river up to the Cathedral, which we decided to visit and take a look inside. It was quite dimly lit inside, but various areas were lit up with candle light and looked very pretty. I suggested we each light a candle too, and that we could remember someone. I could see Caroline was moved by this moment and suspected she was thinking of her father. I held her and we left this great church together, both perhaps with a tear in our eyes, thinking of the ones we had remembered. We jumped onto a bus and got home quickly, both keen to get warm again and continue our Christmas day. We opened the remaining presents… mine included a backgammon game, which Caro had made herself… I was very impresses with this one. Then we made wonderful love together, celebrating this special day in our own very special way. In the evening we cooked salmon and ate our Christmas dinner together… then later on, we went out with Friederike and Matias to a club and danced to disco classics until late into the night. This really turned out to be one of the best Christmas Eves I have ever had… thank you Caroline… this was special.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

What can I say? You remembered everthing! And all in the right order.
And the name of Bach's play.... I will write that in my blog then ;-)

Thank you too, Richard. I had also a wonderful Christmas!

Richard the Lion Heart said...

Thats whats so good about being together with one you love...you can make these sort of things happen.
Love you