16 September 2006

In New York anyway…

…well it sound ludicrous but I’m in New York anyway! I tried not to be here, as I have to be in Berlin all next week and planned to use the weekend to wind down and shake off the 6 hour difference. But my flight from Pittsburgh was delayed, big time. I was sitting on the small plane, waiting for its slot to take-off from Pittsburgh to New York. I quickly fell asleep, then waking to the jolt of the plane moving, I thought we had landed, but we hadn’t even taken off, we were moving back to the terminal to re-fuel! When we finally got in the air, the flight was further delayed by air traffic control in Newark and we eventually landed more than 2 hours late, so I missed me connection to Stockholm. These things happen… so I’m in New York again and I’d be the first to admit, there are worse places you could be delayed :)
So Jonas got his way and I spent Friday night with him going out in central Manhattan. We went to a bar for a beer, then to another in Times Square, then to the West Side to a restaurant in Hells Kitchen, finally another drink on the way back to Sven and Sharon’s apartment, where we were staying. The next day we all went to a traditional New York diner for brunch with Sharon’s dad and some of their friends. It’s humid and the sun is out, so we went for a walk in Central Park, which is just a few blocks from their place.

I really like New York; it’s got loads of character. It looks so impressive with its towering skyline, neon signs and yellow cabs. After all the films you’ve seen, every detail you expect it to have is there, the smoking street grates, laddered fire escapes clinging to brick apartment fronts, corner flower shops filled with colour, Italian delicatessen stores, bustling side walks, its all there for real.
I leave on Saturday evening and once again I’m very grateful for my job which takes me to these places and for the friends I’ve made in these interesting places. I’m just a little sad I can’t share more of this time with this special girl in my life. It would be just great to have shared this week’s experiences together with Caroline, I’m sure she would have enjoyed it too. I hope we can travel together soon and I’m thinking of her and how we have so much in front of us to look forward to and experience together. I’m really looking forward to that :)

No comments: